Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Remains of the "J"

So everybody is talking about the Jejemons. As wikipedia would have defined it: Jejemons are defined by Urban Dictionary as those "who has managed to subvert the English language to the point of incomprehensibility and online lynch squads."[1] A Jejemon is described as one of a "new breed of hipsters who have developed not only their own language and written text but also their own sub-culture and fashion. In other words they are the latest version of the Jologs. Which reminds me, of the movie of the same title. Now I'm thinking a movie would be created based on these Jejemons.


A friend from college once asked in his status update in Facebook "What is Jejemon?". I couldnt help and I answered "those who use the word 'jeje' instead of 'hehe" to connote laughter". Three years ago, I once had an acquaintance thru some old clique I founded myself. There were about 50 of us communicating thru texts. Back then no one have known that Twitter or Tumblr or Facebook existed (but hey! I had a Friendster back then. Will that count?). Then there's this one member who would send GMs to all that I can barely decipher. It felt like reading a tongue-twister. I would find myself twisting my tongue back and forth, left and right. We Filipinos follow a rule of the thumb that says "Kung ano ang sulat ay siya rin ang basa". Sometimes,I would try imitating the language when all I have to say is "Hello, how are you?" I would end up consuming the whole 160-character limit for SMS. That was back then when texting was just a way of killing time. A year or 2 had passed after college and then my brother's girlfriend would occassionally text me in jejenese But I didnt mind though as I can read it very well already. It never occured to me that jejemons would be so popular 3 years later.

Then I found this from one of my Ms. C's blog


No comments:

Post a Comment