Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Where was I?

Last day plus payday is my favorite day since I started working 3 years ago especially when the salary scheme changed. For the last 12 months, I had, more or less, 26 happy days. On that day, something in the office is different -- people are nicer, customers are more friendly and of course not an angry customer can spoil my day. But of course we have this Law of Diminishing returns (please excuse my nerdy brain!) that had started to creep on my nerves lately. So I thought I need some inspiration to do better (or at least meet standards).

Then I remember this one poem from my Literature class way back in college. I used to look forward to Lit class because aside from the subject itself, the teacher is one of my favorite teacher. I remember getting out of her 9am class feeling refreshed and full of positivity. A very inspiring discussion would always transpire on every meeting. She was like the female version of Paulo Coelho (but alot easier to understand). I almost forgot mentioning her name -- Professor Merle Valbuena. ;)

Anyways, I'd like to share this poem written by Gumer Rafanan and won a Palanca Award in 2005. Its actually in Cebuano so I can relate to it more.

DIIN KA MAN SA PAGPANGLUNHAW SA MGA BALILI


Kay maoy may imong gisud-ong
Mga dahon nga nangapulak,

Inay mga bulak nga naugalimyon…

Kay maoy imong gilantaw
Naglugiton nga dag-om,
Inay mga bidlisiw sa kabuntagon…

Kay maoy imong gitan-aw
Mga nawong nga nagping-it,
Inay mga dagway nga mapahiyomon…

Maong wa mo makita ang pagpanglunhaw sa mga balili
Ni madungog honi sa mga langgam,
Ni masingo kahumot sa mga bulak,
Ni mabati hapuhap sa huyohoy.

Nganong gipunayan mog ihap mga adlaw
Sa imong kinabuhi?
Unsay naa sa kompyuter nga giutasan
Mo man ug lili?
Imong mga palad hugot mong gilumkom,
Nganong mobukhad lang kon dunay dawaton?

Unya… sa pagkaamgo mo pa
Sa imong hitaligam-an,
Diay “umadtoay ka na”
Ug di na makalingi,
Di na makabalik,

Aron pagpaminaw sa honi
Sa mga langgam,
Aron paghanggap sa kahumot
Sa mga bulak,
Aron pagtagamtam sa hapuhap
Sa huyohoy,
Ug aron pagsakal sa pagpanglunghaw
Sa mga balili


Gumer M. Rafanan


I guess the bottom line is that I just have to enjoy life and to relax and stop worrying too much. So Prof. Valbuena once asked us to translate the poem in English and we couldnt agree on the title. The word "Pagpanglunhaw" is just too strong. What do you think? ;)



Could not find a more accurate pic for this entry so I chose this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment