Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Death and All of His Friends

The weekend is about to end but I got at least 20 hours to savor it. My weekend is good if not for a bad news that came to me. As of writing i am currently sipping diluted Korean coffee I scored from the grocery earlier. I took a day off from work Friday and God I'm thankful I did. Started doing the dreaded laundry I've been trying to avoid for 2 months. I finished off the colored ones Friday night and I was dead tired by 9pm. Woke up at 3, famish and alone. I thought I could fight it off and tweet or instagram my way out but darn I was shaking so I headed to the nearest McDonalds where they served me coffee brewed, I guess, from last night. I wanted to make a scene and go back to the counter but I didn't. Apparently, my horoscope told me told that my day would be great if I had the right attitude for that day.

So yeah, I let it pass and set the coffee aside and instead feasted on my hot fudge sundae. While eating I decided to read again the text messages I have received while I was sleeping. So there's this one text that my sister sent around 10pm saying Ate Vivian's dead. She used to be our house helper/nanny who's been with us for 5 years. I grew up looking up to her and treating her like a big sister. She is runaway and is barely on her teenage year when she first arrive to our house. I thought I was all okay with the news and my initial reaction was like, oh well life ends at some point. Then when I took a bath it finally hit me -- that the person I first came to know as an older sibling is dead and I will never see her again. So there, I started crying and wailing like a baby in the shower. Now when I think about it, I cringe for doing that in the shower of all places. But yeah, I was like in that state for at least an hour and the whole time it was all flashbacks of good and bad memories we had. On how we used to go to church every Sunday, how she thought me how to sew not just doll clothes but as well as my own, how she would pinch me if I'm naughty, how she would climb the star apple tree in our front yard, how she made me go gaga over OPM songs and radio soap operas... There's just countless things I have learn from her. It even came to me that I could also run away from home like her. So that was it, her life ended in a snap. No one had seen it coming. I should have known the last time I met with her at the airport in 2011 that it would be the last. I should have hugged her for another second or minute even if that would mean missing my flight. Wherever she is I am hoping she is at peace.

I'm sharing this pic taken around 20 years ago. It was one summer afternoon and our chickenpoxes just healed.

1 comment: